More albums you may like
Songs My Father Taught Me
From the sublime to the gloriously ridiculous: classic comedy songs and music sketches, as heard on ABC Classic FM Weekend Breakfast with Colin Fox.
Featuring legendary artists in unusual guises, as well as some of the most renowned comedic musicians, this new collection celebrates music comedy from Peter Cook and Dudley Moore to Kathleen Ferrier, Felicity Lott and the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.
The album features several rare recordings, including Blossom Dearie’s The Pro Musica Antiqua, which is made available on CD here for the first time.
The tracks were selected by popular ABC Classic FM Weekend Breakfast presenter Colin Fox, who writes:
“A touch of humour has been a feature of my Weekend Breakfast programs for more than a decade. I know that I don’t please all of the people all of the time: there are some who don’t like Garrison Keillor, others who think that Peter Cook and Dudley Moore should not be part of a classical music program, and there was one annoyed listener who believed I must have pressed the wrong button in the studio, allowing sports to interrupt Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony. But over the years, I am happy to say, the bouquets have far outweighed the brickbats!”
- 1. Turkish Delight - Cleo Laine
- 2. Further Experiments with Mice - John Dankworth
- 3. The Liddle Fiddle (Symphony for Unstrung Tongue) - Danny Kaye
- 4. New Horizons in Music Appreciation: Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony - Peter Schickele
- 5. Daleks Sing G&S - Guy Noble
- 6. The Typewriter - Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
- 7. The Pro Musica Antiqua - Blossom Dearie
- 8. The Music Teacher - Peter Cook & Dudley Moore
- 9. Songs My Father Taught Me - Kathleen Ferrier
- 10. Australian Customs and Quarantine Regulations - The Quodlibet Singers
- 11. A Word on My Ear - Felicity Lott
- 12. The Radio Announcer - Garrison Keillor
- 13. Kangaroo (Reincarnation Song) - Fascinating Aïda